The funeral itself was amazing. Since he was an Air Force Colonel and served in WWII, the Air Force insisted that they hold a full military honors ceremony for him at Fort Logan National Cemetery in Denver.
You can see the ceremony here, in 3 parts:
Link to Part 2 is here.
Link to Part 3 is here.
The pictures from the day are below:
![]() |
| Click to View Slideshow |
And lastly, to show a small amount of honor for everything he did for me, I am including the entry I wrote for the book my mother made for him for his 90th birthday, which was in November of 2010:
My Grandpa
Many memories come to mind when I think about my grandfather:
I remember the little tree that we planted in his backyard when I was a little tyke. We dug the hole, moved the dirt, placed the tree (which was more like a twig), and moved the dirt again. Then we would water it and let it grow.
I remember throwing the ball in that same backyard. He and I would toss a baseball or football back and forth for what seemed like 2 minutes to me but was probably closer to 60. Eventually, he would say, “Grandpa’s going to ‘take 5’”. This meant that his arm was shot and he needed a break. I didn’t understand then but I do now. I get tired rolling the ball with my daughter after 60 seconds much less throwing a ball for 60 minutes.
I remember the most amazing cookies that he would keep stocked in his cabinet. They were chocolate finger wafer cookies and they were marvelous. My sister and I would race to the cookies and consume more than children should. They were sensational.
I remember doing errands with him and at the end, he would take us out for ice cream. He would always say, “Don’t tell Grandma or she’ll be mad at me for spoiling your dinner.” He spoiled dinners in the most remarkable way.
I remember going to Air Force Academy football games, and Air Force Officer parties as he was so proud of his service to our country. I grew to understand the meaning of the service he provided and realize the importance of it. I really enjoyed seeing his pride for the Air Force and I enjoyed even more when he sang, “Wild Blue Yonder,”
I remember the trip he and I went on to Maine to look at colleges. It was August and it has been said that the best place in the country in August is Maine. I believe it. The weather was incredible, the trees radiant, and the ocean breeze tranquil. We went to several schools including his Alma Mater, Bowdoin. We went to Boothbay Harbor and experienced what it was like to be a Maine native. It was a fantastic trip that I will never forget.
I remember the way he treated his wife, the only Grandmother I ever knew, with respect that was so deserved.
All of these memories have combined to show me how lucky I am to have him as my friend, my mentor, and my Grandpa. He is someone whose teachings, both verbal and by example, I try to live by every day so that I can make him proud and turn out to be just like him. I look forward to the days where I can spoil my grandchildren with ice cream and cookies, and take them on trips to visit lands previously unseen.
And through careful nurturing and care, that little twig of a tree that was planted long ago grew up to be quite tall, strong, reverential of its environment, and respectful to those that came before it. Hopefully like the little boy who planted it.
Happy Birthday, Grandpa.
Goodbye, Grandpa. Thanks.

4 comments:
Such a nice post Matty. Military funerals are an amazing tribute to say good bye. Cheers to a wonderful life lived.
Thanks for posting that, Matty. It sums up my feelings as well. Grandpa was so proud of "all of his troops"...
Beautiful
A wonderful post, Matt. The pictures in the slideshow were amazing. The wedding picture - my favorite. How young they all were. I wish I'd had the chance to tell your Grandpa that you learned so much from him - the respect you show YOUR wife, the way you treat others, and how gentle you are with your children. Thank you for the picture you painted of the man you loved, for those of us who did not know him. He was obviously very special. xoxo
Post a Comment